Goal 6: Analyze search results.
AReview recent searches.
- In the Recent Searches box, hover over a name link (if available) to show basic life events for the person.
- Click a link with the name of a person you recently searched for. The Search Results screen for the person is displayed; see Choice B below for tips on working with search results.
- To see details for all recent searches, click +See More. You can then
review the search attributes, categories, and dates on the screen, as well as delete any search by clicking its trash icon.
- To see record details, click a link with a person's name, on the left. For more about record details, see Choice D below.
- To switch to recently viewed records, click the "recently viewed records" link (top of the screen) and click a records link in the list.
- To switch to recently viewed data collections, click the "recently viewed data collections" link (top of the screen) and click a data collection in the list.
BRedo a search if necessary.
After you perform a search (see Goal 5), the search results are displayed, with a graphic summary at the top that shows family information for the person searched for. If you need to modify a search and try again, follow the steps below.
- To change Search filters to be more broad, or more exact, click and drag any of the filters on their tracks. A description appears, explaining each level of exactness for the filter.
- To show additional fields in the search results, click the "Show All" link (left side).
- If you want to redo the search at this point, click Update; otherwise, proceed to the next step.
- To edit the search terms, a) Click "Edit Search"; b) Change any search fields as needed (see Goal 4, Choice B above); c) Use the "Exact" checkboxes as needed (see Choice C below); and d) Click Search.
- To display a different page of search results, click a page number at the bottom of the screen, or click a green left or right arrow.
- To use keyboard shortcuts for searches and image viewing, click "Shortcut Keys" (bottom left) and press one of the indicated keys when needed.
CWork with "exact" search parameters.
When you click "Edit Search" in the results page for a person, you can specify a variety of "exact" search parameters.
- For first and middle names, specify that the search should find any of these (all are selected by default, and you can click "About these settings" for more info):
- Exact spelling of name
- Sounds like
- Initial (such as "M" as well as "Mary")
- For last name, specify that the search should find any of these:
- Exact spelling of name
- Sounds like
- Soundex (alternate spellings for the surname)
- For birth year, specify that the search will find birth years that are:
- Exact to the year
- Within one year
- Within two years
- Within five years
- Within 10 years
- For marriage and death years, use the same "exact" options as for birth year.
- For spouse names, "exact" is simply an exact match.
DExamine all record search results for a person.
- In the "All results for (name)" screen, click the Records tab. Then hover over a records link (center of the screen) to see a preview (if available).
- Click a records link to display more details. You can see source information in the bottom section of the screen.
- To see a record image, click View.
- In the image window, click the Enlarge icon to view full-screen.
- To see more details about the image, click the left-arrow icon. To hide the details, click the icon again.
- To make adjustments to the image, such as zoom, rotate, and more, click the Tool icon. See Project 2: Family Tree, Goal 5, Choice D for details on adjusting images.
- To save the record image, either in this screen or in the All Results screen, click Save and select one of these:
- Save to (name) ...
- Save to person in your tree (navigate to person)
- Save to computer ...
- Save to Shoebox
- Click the Back arrow to return to the page with the person's search results.
- To go directly to a record image, click a "View Image" link (if available).
- For more options, see Choice E below.
EUse additional options for record search results.
- To add a comment for the page, type it in the "Write a comment" field (upper right) and click Submit .
- Source information (if available) for the record is shown in the lower-left corner.
- To find others who are researching your search person, a) In the Make a Connection box (upper right), click the "Find others" link; b) Browse the information on the right side of the screen; and c) Click a Member Tree link to see Profile information for the search person, in the member's Ancestry tree.
- To submit alternate information to Ancestry for the person in the record, a) Click "Add alternate information"; b) Click the "Choose" field and select the type of alternate information; c) Click the "Reason" field and select a reason for the change; d) Update the birth or place information; e) (Optional) Click "Explain or source your update" and type your source information in the box; and f) Click Submit.
- To print the page, click the Print icon and complete the Print dialog.
- To share the page, click the Share icon and choose one of the social media platforms.
FExamine search results for categories.
- In the "All results for (name)" screen, click the Categories tab.
- Examine the record category links and click any that are of interest. Remember that these categories may include records for other people with the same name as the person you searched for.
- In the list of results, click "View Record" for one you are interested in. See Step 3 in Choice D above for details.
- To view the image for the record, click "View image" (right side).
- To see additional results, if any, click "See all (number) results" at the bottom of the list.