Project 1: MyHeritage Account
Set up an account and start
your family tree in MyHeritage.
Goal 1: Choose a MyHeritage account and start your tree.
Note: If you are setting up an LDS Partner account, skip ahead to Choice C below.
A Create a MyHeritage account and start your family tree.
- Go to the MyHeritage site.
- Read this article for an overview of the types of trees you can use on MyHeritage.
MH—Different Types of Family Trees
- In the MyHeritage site, click Start Your Family Tree. The "Create my family tree" dialog appears.
- Fill in the fields of the "Create my family tree" dialog.
- A GEDCOM (Genealogical Data Communication) file is a text file with basic information about people in a family tree. It can be created (exported) from an existing family tree, and then imported to a new tree to populate that tree. If you have an existing family tree database and have made a GEDCOM file of it, a) Click "Import tree (GEDCOM) at the bottom of the dialog; b) Click Choose File; c) Navigate to your GEDCOM file; and d) Click Open. Then skip ahead to Goal 2 below.
- Click Get Started.
- If possible, fill in the fields for "Your Mother's Mother" and "Your Mother's Father" and click Next. (Names are included with the pictures at the top of the screen, as you enter them.)
- If possible, fill in the fields for "Your Father's Mother" and "Your Father's Father" and click Done.
- If you did not enter ancestors in Choice B, above, you can click Let's Go to start a walkthrough for building your tree. Then skip ahead to Goal 2 below. If you did enter ancestors, go to Choice C below.
- In the two-person match screen, click Yes if the person on the right is your ancestor, or No if not. The number of potential matching ancestors is shown in the upper right. If you click Yes, MyHeritage adds the matching ancestors to your tree.
- Type a password, confirm the password, and click Save. MyHeritage adds the people you specified to your family tree.
- Click Got it to proceed to your tree.
B (Optional) Fill in the reminder questions.
If you chose to skip certain questions when filling out your tree, MyHeritage may ask you to fill kn that information the next time you log in to your account.
- Spouse - yes/no
- Children - yes/no
- Brothers or sisters - yes/no (add graphic) - if yes, person is added in the tree list at the right. For add spouse, you can choose an alternate value in the spouse drop-down list (ex-spouse, partner, etc.)
- Complete missing details, learn about ancestors
- Click Visit your family tree (top of screen).
C Create a free LDS Partner account.
- Go to the Partner Access page on FamilySearch.
- Click Join for Free below the MyHeritage logo.
- Sign in to FamilySearch.
- Click "Create Your Free MyHeritage Account".
- In the Account Creation page, fill out fields (including email and password) and click Register.
Goal 2: Customize your account settings.
A Change your site account settings as needed.
- If you are setting up a new account, a welcome screen appears. Type a password, confirm the password, and click Continue. Then click Go to my family tree.
- In the Home menu, click Site account.
- Click any of the Settings links at the top of your MyHeritage Settings screen. These links are described below:
- Site account—See your current MyHeritage subscription plan details, including expiration date (if any), storage used, persons in your family tree, etc. If you make changes, click Save. Click Extend site plan if you want to upgrade your membership.
- My preferences—Manage email notifications and event reminders. If you make changes, click Save.
- My privacy—Set preferences for site members, DNA matching, access to your site, and content for your site. If you make changes, click Save.
- General—Customize settings for site (first tab), personlized photo (second tab), and deleting the site (third tab). If you make changes, click Save.
- Home page—Customize a welcome message and add an image to it (first tab), or use the second tab to a) show random photo previews, b) choose the root person for your tree, and c) show notifications for new MyHeritage features. If you make changes, click Save.
- Calendar—Import events to your calendar, and customize your calendar by culture or geography. If you make changes, click Save.
- Genealogy—Customize settings for married women names and your family tree summary. Also write about your family and describe its research challenges. If you make changes, click Save.
- Photos from email & mobile—Enable photos and videos from your email and mobile devices to be sent directly to your site.
- My purchases—Show your current site subscriptions.
- For help with account questions, click here.
B Change other site account settings as needed.
- To access other account settings besides the ones mentioned in Choice A, click your name in the top menu bar. A drop-down menu appears:
- My profile—See details about your account. You can also upload data from another DNA test source, if any, to MyHeritage. Follow the onscreen prompts and click Upload DNA data file(s).
- Account settings—Shows your current MyHeritage subscription plan details, including expiration date (if any), storage used, persons in your family tree, etc. Click Extend site plan if you want to upgrade your membership.
- My sites—Shows your current MyHeritage subscription plan details, including expiration date (if any), storage used, persons in your family tree, etc. Click Extend site plan if you want to upgrade your membership.
- Log out—Shows your current MyHeritage subscription plan details, including expiration date (if any), storage used, persons in your family tree, etc. Click Extend site plan if you want to upgrade your membership.
- This article explains how to change your password and email settings.
MH—Change password and email settings
- This article shows you how to find your account ID.
MH—How Can I FInd My Account ID?
Goal 3: Edit your Home page.
A Edit your Welcome text.
- On your Home page, at the right of the Welcome heading, click Edit this text.
- Change the text in the Welcome Message window. You can use the formatting buttons at the top of the window.
- To add an image for your Welcome section, click Upload, choose a file, and click Save.
- Browse the Other tab and make any needed changes for Random Photos, the root individual for the family tree, or new feature notifications.
- When you are finished, click Save to complete the updates and then click Home in the top menu to see your updates.
B Fill out the "What next?" section and update other items.
- If you have not identified yourself in the family tree, type your name, select it from the drop-down list, and click Apply (see the screen at the right).
- To add a photo of yourself, click Choose File and then click Add.
- Enter your essential details.
- Enter your address.
- If desired, fill in details for the Family news section.
- To add a photo for your site, a) Click Add Photo (upper right); b) Click Upload; c) Click Choose File; d) Select a file and click Open; and e) Click Save. Then click Home (top menu) to see the photo. You can click the Replace photo link later to use another photo.
C Post family news, see site activity, and invite family members to the site.
- To post family news, type your message in the Family News field and click Post news.
- Below the Family news section, a list of activities appears, showing site member involvement. You can click the X next to any entry to remove it.
- To invite family members to contribute to the site, a) Click Invite more family (upper left); b) Enter the email address for each member to be invited; and c) Click Invite for each email address.
- If there are many people already in your tree, including deceased ancestors. it may be easier to invite them manually. At the bottom of the page, click the "Invite other people manually" link, fill in their contact information, and then click Invite.
- For details about inviting members to your site, read this article.
MH—How Do I Invite Members to My Family Site
- This article explains privileges for members you invite to your site.
MH—What Privileges Do My Site Members Have?
- Read this article for instructions on removing members from your site.
MH—How Do I Remove a Member from My Family Site?
D Add events and view them on the site or in your calendar.
- To post an event to your calendar, click Post an event (right side of the Home page). Then add the title, date, time, place, and description for the event and click Post it. A site member window appears.
- Select any site members who should receive the message, and add other recipients. (If you don't want to notify others, click "Don't notify site members" at the bottom left.)
- If needed, update the subject and message text, and then click Send.
- To view family events, select Family events from the Home menu.
- To search for an event in the list, type one or more words in the "Find an event" box and click the blue Search arrow. You can also use the Advanced Search link to search for all fields, title, description, submitter, or comments.
- Missing family events (birthdays, anniversaries, etc.) are listed at the right of the Family events screen. To add an event, a) Click Add; b) Select the month and day of the event; c) Edit the year; and d) Click the Add button.
- To view more details for an event, click the event link. You can then add the event to Outlook, or to your calendar, or delete the event. For calendar settings, see Choice A in Goal 2 of this Project.
Note : Events are automatically removed from the calendar after they occur.
E View statistics for your site.
- Choose Family statistics from the Home menu. The following categories and descriptions are included, with pie charts, lists, etc.
- Overview—Pie charts: gender, living vs. deceased, relationship status. Lists: Common last names, common first names (male or female).
- Places—Maps: Places of birth, death, and residence.
- Ages—Charts: Age distribution, average life expectancy. Lists: oldest living people, youngest people, longest lives, shortest lives.
- Births—Charts: birth month percentages, zodiac sign percentages, birth decade percentages.
- Marriages—Chart: number of marriages, age at marriage. Lists: married the most, when married, oldest when married, youngest when married.
- Children—Charts: number of children per family, age (decade) when having children. Lists: families with most children, people with most children, oldest when having a child, youngest when having a child, age differences (oldest and youngest children), largest age differences, smallest age differences.
- Divorces—Lists: number of divorces, divorced most times, longest marriage ending in divorce, age when divorced, oldest when divorced, youngest when divorced.
Goal 4: Manage your MyHeritage Inbox.
A Read and send messages.
- To access your Inbox, click the envelope icon (upper-right corner).
- To read a message, click its title or summary. A Reply window opens.
- Type your response in the Reply window and click Send.
- To see information about the message sender and his or her family site, click the message sender's name. Click the Back button to return to your Inbox.
- You can select All, None, or individual messages in your message list. Then you can choose from these actions: Mark as Read, Mark as Unread, Move to Archive, or Delete.
- To compose and send an email, a) Click New message; b) Type the email address of the recipient; c) Fill in the Subject and Message fields, and d) Click Send.
- Click one of the Inbox options to continue. "Sent mail" shows the message you just sent; it has options to Select All, Select None, Move to Archive, or Delete.
B Check notifications and handle messages.
- To check for notifications, click Notifications.
- To delete a message in your Inbox, select the message and click Delete.
- To archive a message from your Inbox, select the message(s) to be archived and click Move to Archive.
- To restore one or more messages from your archive to your Inbox, a) Click Archive, b) Select the message(s); and c) Click Restore from archive.
- To delete messages from the archive, select them and click Delete.
- To disable email alerts from MyHeritage about new messages received, click Settings and clear the "New messages" checkbox.
Goal 5: Explore other tools and options.
You can find more information about MyHeritage in the gray bar at the bottom of each screen.
A Learn about the MyHeritage company and resources.
- To see information about MyHeritage, click any of the "About us" links: Overview, Our team, or Media kit.
- To learn about MyHeritage in the community, click any of the "Community" links: Company blog, User stories, or Discovery map.
B Download apps for MyHeritage.
The apps are available in the gray bar at the bottom of each screen.
- To download the Apple or Android app, click MyHeritage for mobile.
- To download the Family Tree Builder app, click Family Tree Builder.
- To download the Apple or Android app, click MyHeritage for mobile.
C Change the language for your MyHeritage screens.
- In the upper-right corner, click the Change language icon.
- Select your language from the list. All MyHeritage screens will now appear in the selected language.
Goal 6: (Optional) Download and use the free Family Tree Builder software.
Note : Family Tree Builder enables you to work on your MyHeritage tree on your personal computer or device, even when not connected to the Internet. You can synch your local tree with the online tree, and vice versa. For more details, read this article.
MH—Difference between Family Site and Family Tree Builder.
A Download a copy of Family Tree Builder.
- In the Click Download Free Family Tree Builder in the dialog, and then click Download Now. Then follow the steps on the installation screen and install the software on your computer.
- On the Welcome to Family Tree Builder screen, fill in the signup information and click Next. On the next screen, watch the brief video, then click the MH notification icon in the bottom tray.
- To learn how to convert your online tree into a Family Tree Builder version, read this article.
MH—Converting My Online Tree to Family Tree Builder.
- After installation, if you receive an update notice for Family Tree Builder, a) Click Next to download the new installation file; b) Click Finish; c) Click Yes to allow the update; d) Click Next to begin the installation; and e) Click Finish.
B Download and refer to the User Guide for Family Tree Builder.
- Click Help in the top Menu bar.
- Follow the prompts to download the User Guide in Acrobat (.PDF) format (requires Adobe Acrobat Reader).
- You can find answers to questions about using Family Tree Builder in this Guide. A linked Table of COntents is located a few pages down. When you close the file, you can open it again by clicking Help as before.